Saturday 10 July 2010

Mystery Duck

I know it's been a long time since my last post, I pretty much haven't had the time, and once you've let it go, it can be hard to get back.  One of the things that has kept me busy is my allotment, and it's coming back from there this morning via the Thames Patch that I spotted this duck among the Mallards by Crabtree Wharf.  My first impression was "Oh, one of those weird mallards..." but after closer inspection I am not convinced.  For a start, it's smaller, about 3/4 size of a Mallard as seen on the last photo when it decided to have a go at one. Then its eyes are red, more like a Pochard than a Mallard. But it has the shimmering green of a Mallard on its neck. A hybrid of some kind?  I let you judge for yourself, and if you have any idea, feel free to comment :)

Update 12 July: This is a Chestnut Teal. Another escapee. Thank you 'Anonymous'!








Quite cute, whatever it is, I think.

3 comments:

  1. How odd. The bill and the eye are a bit Pochardish, not sure about the rest of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No hybrid, escaped Chestnut Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that! Its wings didn't appear clipped so I didn't focus on escapees. I had looked at some teals, but I'd never heard of this one afaicr.

    ReplyDelete