Saturday 3 January 2009

3 January 2009

Today was the turn of the Thames part of my patch to get a visit. Lovely blue sky, but it was fairly chilly. Both peregrines were busy having breakfast as I left. Some sparrows were in a private hedge on the other side of Frank Banfield Park, and nearby some chaffinches and great tits. I saw some at their nests on the way back, including a female that appeared to be doing some spring cleaning.
Tide was coming in and there were lots of birds:
  • black-headed gull: at least 200
  • mallard:at least 59, including a white (leucistic?) one

  • teal: 81
  • gadwall: 21
  • tufted duck: 14
  • lesser black-backed gull: 2
  • common gull: 2
  • herring gull: 1 adult with streaky head
  • great black-backed gull: the usual pair involved in pairing display - I can't help but finding them a tad ridiculous...)

  • cormorant: a few
  • Canada goose: 2
  • moorhen: an adult and young
    <

  • blackbird: on the foreshore in the usual place by the boats (though there is no boat here at the moment)
  • kingfisher: just as I was looking at the blackbird I noticed this flash of electric blue with a dash of orange, my first ever kingfisher on this foreshore!
  • pied wagtail: 1 juvenile
  • great crested grebe: a juvenile
  • grey heron
  • parakeets by the pontoon
  • starlings having a bath in the shallows

No comments:

Post a Comment