Saturday 14 March 2009

14 March 2009

I have been suffering all week of a head cold which manifested itself mostly by 'cant-be-ask-itis' and I almost couldn't be asked to go and check my patch this morning. As it happened, I had a nice walk and forgot my headache for 2 hours. Lots of birds were singing, with a dunnock to start with in my street. I could hear the sparrows by Frank Banfield Park as soon as I had crossed Fulham Palace Road, and they seemed to be making a lot of noise for the 3 I managed to spot.
When I reached Hammersmith Bridge, tide was low, and since there were also far less rowers, there were a lot more birds:
  • starling: a few flocks, some of them bathing
  • mallard: 16
  • teal:74
  • tufted duck: 10
  • gadwall: 25
  • shelduck
  • black-headed gull: lots, very mobile
  • common gull: 2 adults and 1 1stW
  • lesser black-backed gull: 1 pair (no streaking left)
  • great black-backed gull: 2 (I think 1 3rd and 1 1st winter), one of them had a fish head, stolen by a carrion crow
  • another young gull I am not too sure about
  • pied wagtail: 3
  • grey wagtail: 2
  • cormorant: 2 on the foreshore, 4 on the pontoon; there also seemed to be a lot of them high up in the air
  • moorhen: 2
  • coot: 3
  • sparrow: heard in the usual bush


Later on, I noticed that leaves are just starting to unfurl on the pink chestnut tree in Margravine Cemetery, and spotted a mistle thrush right at the top of the black poplar.

No comments:

Post a Comment